Monday, August 21, 2017

August 2017 Poetry at Florey's.



Florey's Books invites you to our ongoing poetry event!

***Saturday, August 26th, 7:30-9:30pm***

The featured poets this month are Sy Margaret Baldwin and Sherri Rose-Walker.

From Sherri:

Dear Poetry Community,

I hope you will consider joining us for our next evening of poetry at Florey's Books, when Sy Margaret Baldwin and I will be your featured poets. You are warmly welcome to bring you own, or a favorite poet's work to read at open mic (3 minutes, please - DO time yourself; I hate interrupting people, but will do that, if necessary!). The evening begins with open mic at 7:30, followed by a break, and the featured poets. Please also bring a snack, drink or supplies (cups, plates, napkins) for the table, if you can (this is SO much appreciated).

About the featured poets:

SY MARGARET BALDWIN

Sy was born and grew up in the West Midlands of England; she now resides in Long Barn, CA. Sy is the author of "Signal Fires". She has also been a featured poet in Sonora Seasons and Stanislaus Connections publications, as well as numerous literary magazines - including Poetry Now, Tule Review, Third Wednesday, Common Ground Review, and Calyx.

"I have a love of the outdoors. In 1978 I applied for a summer job with the US Forest Service and, to my surprise, was offered a job as a firefighter on Stanislaus National Forest. That was the beginning of a long career---first as a firefighter and then as a Wildlife Technician.

Sy recalls what led her to become an author. "At the age of eleven I learned to love poetry from a teacher who introducted me to the work of the English Romantics. Later, in my twenties, I began to write poetry myself." Her ideal place to write is at home, at her desk looking out at a beautiful cedar grove and sapling black oaks.

SHERRI ROSE-WALKER

I wrote my first poem (a limerick) when I was seven, and have written ever since; letters, journals and prose, as well as poetry. My teachers have been the works of other poets. Among the most influential have been Rainer Maria Rilke, May Sarton, Rumi, Denise Levertov, William Stafford, Joy Harjo, Van Morrison, Jane Hirshfield, William Shakespeare, Linda Hogan, William Butler Yeats and Ursula Le Guin. Wide reading in mythology, philosophy, anthropology, paleo and ancient history, psychology and spirituality have also deeply influenced my work.

My own poetry is most closely concerned with the inner and symbolic life, the mysterious alchemy governing what it means to be human, and yet to reach always for what is greater and beyond. I am continuingly concerned with the seasons of growth, waning, death and rebirth, in both the world and the heart. In my poetry, I seek to explore, and somehow find words to speak of the rooms in transformation’s house of gold.

--------------------------------
We hope to see you!

Poetry at Florey's:

***Saturday, August 26th, 7:30-9:30pm***
---------------------------------

Florey's Book Co.
2120 Palmetto Ave.
Pacifica, CA 94044
(650) 355-8811
Open 10am to 6pm every day (8pm Fridays)
http://www.floreysbooks.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/FloreysBookCo