Saturday, July 21, 2018

July 2018 Poetry at Florey's.



Florey's Books invites you to our ongoing poetry event!

***Saturday, July 28th, 7:30-9:30pm***

The featured poets this month are Marvin R. Hiemstra and Brian Martens.

From Sherri:

To all who love poetry,

Now that our independence has been properly celebrated, I hope you'll be in the mood to join Aaron and me at Florey's, your long-time independent book store, for our July poetry reading. We will welcome Marvin R. Hiemstra and Brian Martens, who will share their poetic whimsy and passion with us.

If you are able to, it is always so very much appreciated if you can bring a drink or snack for the table, and, as always, you are invited to bring your own poetry to share at open mic (3 minutes, please).

About the featured poets:

MARVIN R. HIEMSTRA

A jubilant Leo born in a summer thunder storm on the Iowa Prairie and polished at the Iowa Writers Workshop by Donald Justice, Marvin R. Hiemstra’s publications include Dream Tees – a Pulitzer Prize in Poetry nominee, In Deepest USA – a droll CD, French Kiss Destiny - - a DVD filmed in three whimsical San Francisco locations and Poet Wrangler – another Pulitzer Prize in Poetry collection nominee.

Marvin publishes and performs around the world with a three week triumph at Edinburgh Festival Fringe which Leslie Hills at The Scotsman noted, “Marvin R. Hiemstra’s A Turquoise Coyote Under Your Pillow conjures up true moments and personalities in a bright-humored performance: intense, refreshing theatre.” “Rich humor, high-wire poetics, and deeply-felt emotion fill Marvin’s work.” – Shawn Pittard, The Great American Pinup. “French Kiss Destiny sets new standards for poetry in our times.” – David Partch, Rattle, “It’s the laughing and thinking at the same time that I love when I read Hiemstra’s work.” -- Kate McDonald, London Times. “Marvin R. Hiemstra’s performance blasts bits of Victorian music hall, kyogen, Jungian identity transfers, and red-hot shamanism into one very happy celebration.” – Ernst Budde, Universitat Bremen.

A memoir collection of anecdotes, Raven Knows: Each Smile is Unique, from Marvin’s colorful life will appear in 2019.

BRIAN MARTENS

I have always been a poet according to my teachers and mentors, and I thought it was a hobby until I realized I was a shadow poet and it was time to step into my passion.

In the fall of 2017 I declared myself a poet and writer, and committed to have a book of poetry published by the end of 2018. The Universe conspired to accomplish this and Fernwood Press is publishing my first book in 2018. The book will be mostly Haiku and a few other favorite poems. I learned Haiku from my work with Angeles Arrien over seven years.

Now, I mostly write poetry concerned with the “ Human Condition”, and such topics as Awareness, Transformation, and Deep Intuition. I seek to inspire and motivate people, with my articles, podcast, and poetry to recognize their own deep creative spirit and to express that to the world whether that is raising children, cooking a meal, or growing a garden. I believe everything we do on earth is a creative act, and being creative is an act of self-love.

--------------------------------
We hope to see you!

Poetry at Florey's:

***Saturday, July 28th, 7:30-9:30pm***
---------------------------------

Florey's Book Co.
2120 Palmetto Ave.
Pacifica, CA 94044
(650) 355-8811
Open 10am to 6pm every day (8pm Fridays)
http://www.floreysbooks.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/FloreysBookCo