Thursday, January 18, 2018

Local Forum: 'Masculinity, Femininity, & Western Cultures', January 25th at Florey's!



Florey's welcomes you to our discussion group!

***Thursday, January 25th, 7:30pm-9:00pm***

We will be meeting to discuss the topic: Masculinity, Femininity, and Western Cultures.

From Nico:

I've been doing a lot of reading on childhood development in both boys and girls. I've also read a few books on Eastern Culture religions and philosophies. A theme I seem to be noticing more and more is that the eastern cultures are much more comfortable with teaching boys "feminine" skills and vice versa for girls.

I don't know how to pinpoint exactly what I want to talk about with this topic, but I can tell you the situation that sparked my interest for it: I held a tournament for my classroom, and one 4th grade student managed to make it all the way to the finals. All he had to do was beat the same 6th grader he beat earlier in the tournament in order to win it all. He ends up losing in an upset and immediately starts sobbing.

I was raised to embrace and understand my emotions; there was never a need to hide. So as I walked back with this student to the classroom I told him "Its OK to feel this sadness right now. There is the thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat. You're experiencing the agony side of the coin. From there, you can either sulk, or get better." Once we get into the classroom, my aide sees him crying and she yells out "Oh Jeez, Jaden really? man up!"

Questions to consider

- Any moments in your life where you were asked to act more like your gender?
- Is there any harm to comments like "man up!" or "that's not very ladylike"
- Is there anything the west can learn from the east?

I hope to hear an array of experiences in this discussion. I look forward to seeing you all on the 25th!

=============
We hope to see you!

Local Forum
***Thursday, January 25th, 7:30-9:00pm***
=============

Florey’s Book Company
2120 Palmetto Avenue
Pacifica, CA 94044
(650) 355-8811
Open 10 am to 6 pm every day! (8 pm Fridays)
http://www.floreysbooks.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/FloreysBookCo